Is it Safe to Combine Hemp Oil and Alcohol?
Should I Combine CBD and Alcohol?
CBD, the non-psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, has been gaining popularity as an ingredient in cocktails and alcoholic drinks. CBD is in vogue and people seek to buy CBD oil online for many reasons.
While some seek help sleeping better or promoting relaxation, others are curious about the novelty of CBD.
But are we really aware of the effects of mixing CBD with alcohol? Regardless of whether it is CBD gummies, CBD tinctures, or CBD capsules, is ingesting CBD with alcohol safe?
We will break this down into two parts to gain a better understanding.
1. Our bodies metabolize CBD in a complex way, which makes it difficult to be specific on an answer on what to expect about mixing CBD with alcohol. An individual’s response to CBD, THC, and alcohol in itself is dependent on each person’s metabolic and endocannabinoid systems.
2. According to the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, a study performed in 1979 describes: “Compared to placebo, alcohol and alcohol plus CBD, but not CBD alone, produced significant impairments of motor and psychomotor performance, overestimations of time production, and subjective responses indicating an accurate self-perception of their intoxication and deficits. The combination of alcohol plus CBD resulted in significantly lower blood alcohol levels compared to alcohol given alone, however, there were few differences observed between the pharmacological effects of the two alcohol conditions”.
Food for Thought
While more studies need to take place for consumers to truly understand the effects and consequences of taking CBD with alcohol, we can keep in mind the following:
- An individual’s response to CBD and alcohol will vary from individual to individual
- While CBD may lower alcohol levels in your blood, it will not help counter signs of intoxication. So, don’t expect CBD to make you sober after drinking
- Both CBD and alcohol have relaxing effects that can depress our nervous systems
- Always use high-quality lab-certified CBD form a reputable source
Words of Wisdom
All in all, we recommend laying on the side of caution. If you still have doubts, may we suggest you enjoy the relaxing experience of a CBD cocktail without alcohol?
Also, remember to always use high-quality CBD.
When it comes to CBD oil for sale online, not all CBD websites are the same. While most CBD online stores carry hundreds of brands using no criteria whatsoever (often products high on residues or with little to no CBD,) just a few online retailers such as Hemp Circle commit to carrying only products that come with excelling certificates of analysis from independent laboratories vouching for CBD quality and quantity, and which in addition are made with natural or organic ingredients.
With so many unvetted CBD products in the market, the effort that retailers such as Hemp Circle put into providing consciously curated products is well worth it.
*Note that this article aims to share general considerations only and is not intended to provide medical advice.